Specialist High Skills Major
What are they?
St. Mary’s Catholic High is proud to offer students their choice of 7 Specialist High Skills Majors (SHSM) – the most offered by any school in the London and Oxford areas! We offer SHSM programs in Arts and Culture, Non-Profit, Sports, Hospitality and Tourism, Manufacturing, Information and Communications Technology, and Aviation.
Specialist High Skills Majors let students focus on a career path that matches their skills and interests while meeting the requirements of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD). Students receive the SHSM's seal on their diploma when they:
- complete a specific bundle of 8-10 courses in the student's selected field;
- earn valuable industry certifications including first aid and CPR qualifications;
- gain important skills on the job with employers.
Who are they for?
Grade 11 and 12 students who are:
- heading for an apprenticeship, training, college, university or the workplace.
- wanting to identify, explore and refine their career goals and make informed choices about their next steps after secondary school.
How can they help?
Students have the opportunity to:
- Gain important skills on the job with actual employers, at skills training centres, Co-op, field trips, and at school.
- Earn valuable industry certifications, including first aid and CPR qualifications
All SHSM programs are funded by the Ministry of Education, so there is minimal to no cost to students, and there is no academic penalty for withdrawing from a program.
Specialist High Skills Major Registration Information: If you are in Grade 10 and interested in an SHSM for Grades 11 and 12, please complete the Application Form below and return to Guidance.
Required courses for St. Mary's SHSM Programs: